Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I'm a real missionary now!

Dear family,
It turns out Sister Gingrich has mono. The nurse said she must have got it in the past and her sinus infection made it flare up again. I believe it 'cause she was sleeping a lot. Actually, she lived with the Kunz family for a few days while I went out with other Sisters. It was weird to be without her, but I've seen amazing blessings come because of this whole ordeal. Without her, I became the missionary that was familiar with the area and the people. This put some added responsibility on my shoulders so I had to step up to the plate. During an exchange with Sister Maxfield I really went outside my comfort zone and became a better missionary. Sister Maxfield had us talk to everyone we saw and knock on every door we passed AND had me start nearly every conversation. It was awkward at first, but by the end of the day my confidence had grown. Incredibly, the spirit filled my mouth each time I opened it. Many blessings/miracles resulted from working hard, talking to everyone, and testifying boldly.

One of those miracles was Larry. Sister Maxfield and I had gone to check on a less active family but they weren't home so she suggested we tract the street. Eventually, we found Larry. He only has one leg so he hopped out on the porch and started talking with us. After Sister Maxfield recited the first vision, I asked him how he felt. He said "That's a nice story" with a tone of voice that said he really believed it. Then I bore my testimony of Joseph Smith. I even started crying, a first for my mission. I just really felt the power of the spirit bearing witness of the truth of what we were saying. Then we invited Larry to be baptized on December 5th and he accepted. It was amazing! The Lord truly does prepare people to receive the gospel! We just have to find them and share it with them.

I hope you all have a wonderful week!
Love,
Sister Bailey Mortensen

No comments:

Post a Comment