Tuesday, September 7, 2010

All is Well

Dear Family,

It sounds like you're all having a good time getting started with school again. I'm excited for all of you and what the coming year will bring. I just can't beleive how quickly you are growing up. Clark using a locker and Sophie taking Chinese. It's a little mind blowing. I'm very happy for you though.

We have had a wonderful week! Yesterday was particularly great because we spent almost the whole day teaching. The highlight was definitely going to teach Darlene. Laurie (who referred Darlene, and was a recent convert I taught in Ralston) was there with her boys so it was a real treat to see them again. Also, Darlene invited her cousin, Craig, and her friend, Leah, to join in the lesson. We planned to teach the Word of Wisdom and when I saw that we had two new people I wondered if we should just start with the restoration instead. Well, we ended up reviewing the restoration briefly and transitioning into the Word of Wisdom. It was a lot like your demonstration at mission training. When I asked Darlene if she believed Joseph Smith was a prophet and if the Book of Mormon was true, she said "yes" both times. That, of course, made us very happy, and Laurie even gave a little cheer, saying how proud she was of Darlene. It was the perfect way to lead into the Word of Wisdom because that commandment was given to Joseph Smith. It turns out Darlene has already been trying to live the Word of Wisdom. The only question she had was on what types of tea should could have and when we told her just herbal tea she gave away all her tea (to Craig). Then she gave Leah a high five because Leah is already living the Word of Wisdom. So, now we will be teaching Leah as well and Darlene is on track to be baptized on September 25th! It was a great lesson, and having Laurie there to testify was especially helpful because she is Darlene's best friend. It also felt good, as we left, to have Laurie recognize how much I've grown as a missionary. I'm not the timid little girl I was in Ralston.

I love you all very much!
Love,
Sister Bailey Mortensen

No comments:

Post a Comment