Monday, September 13, 2010

Turns our everyone is related


Dear Family,

Thanks for all the updates. Congrats to Sophie on her cross country run. I really do admire anyone that can run that far that fast. Tell Clark I would love to try some "Clark's Cookies." Now to mom: the idea of falling asleep to the sound of waves was very tempting. I realized that I haven't been camping in a long time and I miss it. But it's getting dark earlier so I get to see stars before we go in for the night and that is a treat, especially since Nebraska skies are huge. We went to the hospital (the tallest building in Grand Island) a couple times this week to visit people on the 7th floor, and looking out those windows made me realize how flat Nebraska is. We could see forever!

Actually, our visits to the hospital were inspired by Heavenly Father. As we were leaving one day, we saw Bro. Guererro sitting in the family suite. He had told us that his sister was dying, but we were still surprised to see him. When we went in to visit with him, we saw Randie and Lino, a couple we had tracted into, sitting in there as well. We were surprised to discover that Lino is Bro. Guererro's nephew. We've been trying to contact Randie and Lino for a while now but they've been really busy. So, we said a prayer with them and left them a copy of the Book of Mormon along with a Plan of Salvation pamphlet. I also volunteered Sister Bonelli's singing talents, so she might be singing at the funeral on Tuesday. Anyway, the next day, we visited Bro. and Sis. Mendez, some semi-recent converts we've been working with, and guess what? Bro. Mendez is Lino's cousin! But wait, it gets even better. Last night we decided to check on a former investigator named Bambi. She opened the door and told us how life has been crazy because a relative has been in the hospital and just died. We thought "no way." So we asked who it was and it turns out that Bambi is Randie's sister. So, pretty much half the people we are teaching are related to Bro. Guererro. The best part is that Bro. Guererro is an amazing missionary so we know that he will be a big help in getting these relatives to progress in the gospel.

Our lesson with Bambi was especially good. Bro. Smith was with us and did a great job jumping in to help Bambi see how the Plan of Salvation related to her and her family. When we had pretty much finished explaining the plan he even gave us the perfect segway into the baptismal invite. So we invited her to be baptized and she said yes! When we suggested October 9th she said she'd think about it. We are very excited for her and for her two kids. Hopefully they will want to get baptized with their mom.

Guess what? General Conference is coming and I am super excited! To help you get the most out of it I recommend that you come up with 3-5 "inspired questions." They can be questions about gospel principles or about things you have personally wondered. Just write them down and pray to ask Heavenly Father to answer them for you during general conference. Then take note of the answers during general conference. I have done this for a couple years now and every time, Heavenly Father gives me very specific answers. One year I asked "What one thing should I focus on improving?" because I was feeling a little overwhelmed with all the things I could improve. Well, Joseph B. Wirthlin gave a talk called "The Great Commandment" saying that the one thing that will most improve our lives is charity. Was that a specific answer or what?!? I just love it! Sometimes the answers don't relate directly to what the speaker is saying, but the spirit is able to speak to you individually. So, give it a try. I know that Heavenly Father will answer your inspired questions if you will sincerely ask and seek for them. He loves you and wants to guide you.

Well family, let me know what I can do for you. I love you tons!
Love,
Sister Bailey Mortensen

No comments:

Post a Comment